Yesterday, the Cal Cunningham campaign announced that it raised $7.4 million in the second quarter of the year. The impressive fundraising haul is “a record for Senate candidates from North Carolina in any quarter.”
Cal’s second quarter figure builds on a strong start to the year, where “Cunningham smoked Tillis,” and is a sign of grassroots momentum as the campaign has garnered support from nearly 29,000 North Carolina donors over the course of the cycle, including in all 100 counties.
As Tillis’ failed health care record is back in the spotlight, Cal’s vision to protect and expand health care is clearly resonating with voters, and they’re ready to put this seat back to work.
WATCH ON SPECTRUM NEWS:
News & Observer: Cunningham campaign breaks NC fundraising record for Senate race in run vs. Tillis
- Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Cal Cunningham will report raising $7.4 million in the second quarter of 2020, a figure that appears to be a record for Senate candidates from North Carolina in any quarter.
- “Our campaign is so grateful to the thousands of North Carolinians lending their support to this campaign, showing that people across the state are ready to elect Cal and put this seat back to work to protect their health care and take on corruption in Washington,” Cunningham campaign manager Devan Barber said in a statement.
- The campaigns seem certain to exceed recent fundraising totals in North Carolina U.S. Senate races. A recent CNBC poll showed Cunningham with a 51-41 lead, but every other recent poll has shown a close race within the margin of error between the two.
The Hill: Cunningham sets Senate fundraising record in North Carolina in challenge to Tillis
- Democrat Cal Cunningham pulled in more than $7 million in the second quarter of 2020 for his bid to unseat Sen. Thom Tillis (R), setting a record for the most raised in a single three-month period by a Senate candidate in North Carolina.
- But Cunningham has so far held a consistent lead over Tillis in fundraising this year, pulling in more than twice what the GOP incumbent raised in the first quarter of 2020.
- Democrats see Tillis’s seat in North Carolina as crucial to their bid to capture the Senate majority in November.
Indy Week: Cunningham Gives Tillis a Run for His Money
- Democratic U.S. Senate Nominee Cal Cunningham broke fundraising records Monday, racking in more than $7.4 million in 2020’s second financial quarter in his bid to take out Republican Senator Thom Tillis.
- Cunningham’s haul appears to be more than than any North Carolina Senate candidate has raised in a single quarter ever.
- Cunningham smoked Tillis in the first quarter of the year, raising $4.4 million to Tillis’s $2.1 million.
Reuters: Democratic Challengers in Two Tight U.S. Senate Races Step Up Fundraising
- Democratic contenders for two Republican-held U.S. Senate seats on Monday said they accelerated fundraising in the second quarter, pointing to their momentum in what were already seen as competitive races.
- Tillis’ campaign said the senator was not yet reporting his second quarter haul. Cunningham had raised more than twice as much as Tillis in the first quarter.